[Linux] Beagleboard GPS+GPRS (cellphone) Module

This is my design for a GPS/GPRS module that integrates and stacks upon a Beagleboard. You can talk to it and power it through USB (or alternative). You can request GPS positions, place calls, textmessages, post to HTTP/FTP servers, HTTP requests, the whole shabang.

The PCB design in currently in production in shanghai [white PCB color], due to arrive the end of July. They cost around $2 a piece, i ordered 10, so i have too much (any volunteers can have one if they like). Anyway, the GPRS/GPS module itselfs costs around $90, and the rest of the chips around $10~$15. Ofcourse, you’d have to solder everything yourself. But that’s just delighting.

Module

This is the module it is all about, it’s a fairly cheap integrated GPRS & GPS module. It takes a simcard, and you can upload python scripts. Other than that, you can interface with it with standard AT codes, like requesting GPS position, calling, or sending textmessages.
With the upload of python scripts you can script that you want the module to send a textmessage with the position whenever it is being called.

GPS/GPRS module ~$90

Printed Circuit Board Design

Bottom (Oh yeah it's Rembrandt on the silkscreen.

Schematic

Schematic

FYI: prototype

Fully operational prototype

Tim Zaman

MSc Biorobotics. Specialization in computer vision and deep learning. Works at NVIDIA.

1. Jean-Claude says:

Tim,
    I checked your project Space cam Live 1
    It seems that I need also the PCB you designed for the Radiometrix 433 MHz NTX2.
    I can see on one of the picture it is connected to another little PCB boar dwith USB connector
    Is this one needed for debug purposes or really needed for the Main Payload?
    Sorry to ask a lot of questions:
    Could it be possible to get
    1)detailed connections for main payload
    2)detailed hardware parts and connections for backup payload

I will follow your blog for the Space cam Live 2 on Nov 7 with a lot of interest
    Good luck to you and your project !!
    Cheers,
    JC

2. Jean-Claude says:

Hello Tim,
    Thanks for your quick reply
    I understood that I had to solder components myself 😉
    If I remember , I saw the Boms for them on your site
    I also read later on your blog you designed other small PCB’s
    Can i also order spares ones ?
    How should we proceed ?
    Best regards,
    JC

3. Jean-Claude says:

Hello,
    I am reading your very interesting blog
    Congratulations for your project
    I would be interested in buying a spare GPS+GPRS board PCB if you still have one available.
    Could I also buy from you the Power board PCB
    I didn’t have time to check yet
    I have a beagleboard-XM : will your 2 boards be compatible or do you think I’ll need to make some changes (mechanical or electronic components to be changed …??)
    Best regards
    Jean-Claude

Hi Jean Claude, by the way you can see the finished product here (http://www.timzaman.nl/?p=1247&lang=en). This page was made before i ordered the prototype. Also, all these PCB’s are specifically for the Beagleboard XM. They can also be used for any other system with USB ports or run on 5v though.
      But i can give you the prototype PCB’s, but you are going to have to order the materials and assemble them yourselves, because I dont have time to make a business out of this :).

4. Jean-Claude says:

Hello,
    I am reading your very interesting blog
    Congratulations for your project
    I would be intersted in buying a spare GPS+GPRS board PCB if you still have one available.
    Could I also buy from you the Power board PCB
    I didn’t have time to check yet
    I have a beagleboard-XM : will your 2 boards be compatible or do you think I need to make some changes (mechanical or change some components …??)
    Best regards
    Jean-Claude

5. Dilip kumar says:

Hi Tim,

I am Dilip from India, its a very good prototype which supports the Beagle. I would like to buy some of those to sell. Let me know how we go further with this.

Regards
    Dilip kumar

6. Henk Schoemaker says:

Hallo Tim, van dit board zou ik ook graag 1 willen hebben.

groeten Henk Schoemaker